Monday, July 9, 2012

aqui estoy, aqui estoy

Wow. I can't believe it's July already.

It sure doesn't feel like July. When I think of July, I think of hot Texas misery. Here in coastal Ecuador, it feels more like fall. The air is cool, even chilly at times. It rains nearly every day. The sun barely breaks through the clouds. It feels damn good, man. I'll take this over triple digit heat waves any day.

Work is going alright. My counterpart has been focusing on his projects, and I have been focusing on mine, so I hardly ever even see him anymore. After several frustrated attempts at motivating me to get out and start helping him with what he's doing (which is beyond my capacity at this point), he has finally relinquished that I need to better my Spanish, get to know my community better, and form relationships with key players before I can accomplish anything. Thank you. It's about damn time.

It's vital that I do get some help though, and I've realized this from the start. In fact, it's part of Peace Corps' mission strategy. The community's involvement is integral. Besides that, I have absolutely no resources at my disposal, so there is no other way to go about this. My counterpart wants to begin collecting and recycling the scrap plastic that we generate at the facility, and eventually try to make it a neighborhood-wide thing. I'm all for that. I can probably get it going with a little bit of help. He also likes the idea of clearing the debris off the lot, painting, and planting a garden to spruce the place up. Again, can do, with a little help from my friends. I've decided that the best way to make friends and start accomplishing these tasks is to begin visiting the local colegio (high school) a few times a week in hopes of drumming up some interest among the students, and collaborating with the Ministerio del Ambiente (Ministry of the Environment) in hopes of procuring resources. I'm also helping a guy out with his English, in hopes that he and his church group will offer to help me plan out and paint some promotional/educational murals in the community. Indeed, a lot is hanging on “hope” at this point...

Nonetheless, the wheels of progress are moving, ever so slightly, and I'm excited to see it.

Of course, nothing is going on today (I'm writing this on a Sunday)...just chillin in my room, playing guitar, and wasting the day away on the computer. It suits me just fine. Feels like college. I have been reading a lot on days like today, especially guides on self development and social dynamics: “How to Win Friends and Influence People”, “Secrets of the Alpha Male”, “Attraction isn't a Choice”, “How to Talk to Anyone”, etc...all great stuff. It should all serve me well, both in Ecuador and beyond. If anybody has any suggestions for further reading in this category, let me know! I have about a thousand ebooks at my disposal, but I'm always open to more.

Besides that, still trying to have fun where I can. I don't really go out to the discotecas in Muisne but maybe once a month. It's a pretty pointless affair. I'm tired of people always trying to bum beer off of me. I'm tired of seeing girls staring at me all night, but not actually dancing WITH me (they're taken). I always end up subjugated to what I like to call the “man pit”...i.e, the place where the countless other frustrated male chumps hang out all night. It's uncomfortable there, because there's this ominous feeling that a lone gringo who's distracting all of the girls and not sharing his beer could get stabbed at any moment. Thankfully there are opportunities to chill with the cluster (the volunteers in my province) every now and then, and I usually take advantage of those. We spent a night partying in the hippie/surfer village of Mompiche just recently. It was a much needed opportunity for them to cut loose, and even though the only gal that paid me any attention all night was a post-op tranny, I had fun too. I swear, it's tough meeting quality chicks out here on the coast! Just once I'd like to meet one that a) is of legal age, b) doesn't have a million kids, c) doesn't speak in pure slang, d) doesn't have a jealous potentially stabby male admirer lurking somewhere in the shadows, and e) isn't a tranny. I know, my standards are just ridiculous. Notice that I didn't even mention pretty or intelligent. Had I specified those qualities, well, haha, you just can't help but laugh...

Whatever though. It's fine. I'll find my mythical siren of the sea one of these days, I just need to be patient. Patience is the name of the game here in Ecuador, concerning just about everything. I can't forget that.

I think it's about time to head to the beach. I bid y'all chao.

P.S. - sorry no pics this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment